Settlement Checklist

Email us for the Settlement Checklist in PDF format –


Get a local phone number and email (gmail is good) –
Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for *every* family member –
Open a bank account. Most banks offer packages for newcomers –
Apply for Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) – you will need a bank card and bank statement to apply for OHIP  (Until your OHIP card arrives, you can use your Interim Federal Health Papers (IFHP) papers for medical and dental needs) –
See a dentist that takes IFHP –
See a doctor that takes IFHP –
Register for a language evaluation through the YMCA –
Get a library card for all your family members – its free and offers free wifi and computer use, as well as online and in person access to books, magazines and movies! –

Getting Around

Get a Presto card for use on local transportation –
Learn about the subway, streetcar and bus system –
Alternatives to Uber – Beck Taxi is good. They also have wheelchair accessible cabs. Ask for one when ordering. –
Use Google Maps to find places to shop (No Frills and Walmart are good for food and new items. Value Village and Goodwill for gently used ) –
Apply for a Drivers Licence –

City Services

Call 211 from your phone or visit the website to access social service programs and community support. Available in over 150 languages. –

Your Children

Register your children for school –
Make sure their vaccines are up to date (necessary for school) –
Register for the healthy smiles program (children 17 and under) –
Register for free and low-cost City programs –
Apply for Child Tax Benefits, for all children under the age of 16 (It will take about 3 months to arrive. Choose direct deposit into your bank account) –

Your Home

Figure out a monthly budget, to know what you can afford (try to stay below 50% of your income for rent) –
Find an internet service provider – some offer packages with your phone. Make sure the service provider is available in your building/area –
Check that your home/apartment has smoke detectors/fire alarms. Basement apartments should have two exits (one can be a window) –
Many landlords require tenant insurance. It will cover all your personal property in case of flood, theft, etc. –
Apply for the Ontario Electricity Support Program –
Know your rights as a tenant –

in Case of Emergency

Call 911 from any phone for extreme emergencies.
They will ask if you need fire, ambluance or police and ask for your address.
Language services are available, but may take time to connect to someone.
A fire truck with paramedics will almost always be the first to arrive.
Have someone outside on the street to direct them inside.

Resources for Women

Newcomer women offers settlement and assistance specifically for women –

Resources for LGBTQ+

The 519 Centre offers advocacy and programs for the community –
Health promotion and support services for people from SAMEIC (South Asian, Middle Eastern, Indo-Caribbean) living with, at risk of, or affected by HIV and related health conditions. –
Unity Mosque welcomes all –
Hassle Free Clinic offers free medical and counselling services in areas of sexual health –
Maple Leaf Clinic offers family medicine and HIV primary care –
Sherbourne Clinic provides primary care and chronic disease management services, health promotion and education, outreach and social supports, and mental health services –

Resources for Differently Abled

Support and services for people with intellectual disabilities –
Settlement Program Learning Abilities Service Hub –
Support and services for differently abled newcomers –

Resources for Pregnant Newcomers

Pregnancy planning and pre-natal information –
Prental and postnatal support, including a free welcome package and grocery gift card –